U.S. Government Forms & Documents

Form Name Form Description
Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for F-1 Student Status
Issued by the school (i.e., UMFK) through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). You can request your I-20 from the UMFK website.
Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record
Issued by a U.S. Customs officer when first entering the United States through a port of entry. Typically a digital record, you can retrieve proof of it through the CBP I-94 website or the CBP One™ mobile app (available from the iOS App Store and the Google Play Store).
Form I-539 Application to Extend/Change Non-immigrant Status
Used when extending your stay, applying for reinstatement, or changing to a different non-immigrant status.
Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification
Filed by employers to verify the identity and employment authorization of individuals they hire. On the form, the employee must attest that they are authorized to work in the U.S. and provide their employer with documentation proving their identity and employment authorization.
Form SS-5 Application for a Social Security Card
Used to request your initial Social Security card. You must already be assigned a Social Security Number by the U.S. government to use this form, and it is only necessary if you intend to work in the U.S. You can apply for your social security number online if you are located in the United States.
Form W-7 Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
Used to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). You only need an ITIN if you pay U.S. taxes but are not eligible for a Social Security Number.
Form I-983 Training Plan for STEM OPT Students
Used by students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields of study seeking Optional Practical Training (OPT) with an employer in the U.S. The form is completed by both the student and employer.
Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization
Used to apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) allowing you to work while in the United States.
Form G-1145 E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance
Used in conjunction with other forms to request an electronic notification (such as a text message or email) when USCIS accepts your submitted form.
Form G-1450 Authorization for Credit Card Transactions
Used when paying by credit card the filing fee and biometric services fee (if applicable) for an application, petition, or request filed with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
Form I-102 Application for Replacement/Initial Nonimmigrant Arrival-Departure Document
Used when you need to apply for an initial or a replacement Form I-94 document.
Form I-901 SEVIS I-901 Fee Payment
Used to remit payment of the Student and Exchange Visitor (SEVP) SEVIS fee. You may pay this fee and print your receipt from the I-901 SEVIS Fee Processing website.
Form I-134 Declaration of Financial Support
Used to indicate you have sufficient funds to support the academic and living costs of yourself and any dependents you may have. Separate I-134s must be completed for yourself and each dependent.
Form I-797(A-F) Notice of Action, Transportation Letter, etc.
Issued by the USCIS to communicate with you (the applicant) or convey immigration benefits. There are several types of I-797s, and it is not a form you can fill out.
Form I-515A Notice to Student or Exchange Visitor
Issued by U.S. Customs officers to temporary admission into the United States for thirty (30) days in lieu of denying you entry. This document is issued, at the discretion of the officer, if you arrive at the port of entry missing signed required documents, haven’t paid the SEVIS fee, have not been issued an I-20, or have a status issue indicated in the SEVIS system. If received, you must resolve the outstanding issue(s) within the given thirty (30) days to maintain legal status.

Canadian Government Forms & Documents

Do you plan to visit Canada while a student at UMFK? Learn whether you need a Canadian visitor visa and how to apply for one.

Form Name Form Description
Canadian Visitor Visa Application Used to apply for a visitor visa should you wish to visit Canada during your time at UMFK. Not all international students may need a Canadian visitor visa; the Canadian government’s website provides tools and resources to determine whether a visa is necessary to enter Canada.

Find out of you need a visa | Transit through Canada | Border information for visitors

Canadian Biometrics Collection When applying for a Canadian visitor visa, you’re typically required to provide biometrics, such as your fingerprints and photo. This online tool aids in determining if you’re required to give biometrics to visit Canada.

Facts about biometrics

UMFK Forms & Documents

Form Name Form Description
Financial Affidavit of Support Required to submit an I-20 request. This form, and supporting documentation, are used to demonstrate evidence of your ability to support your education and living expenses financially while at UMFK. The completed form and supporting documentation are submitted as part of your I-20 request. Instructions for completing this form are available from our Scholarship and Finances page.

Financial Affidavit of Support Instructions

I-20 Request Form Used to submit a request for UMFK to issue you an initial I-20 or I-20 transfer and the necessary documentation to process your request.
OPT Stem Extension Form
LOA Form
Program Completion Form
Termination of F-1 Status
Transfer In Form Submitted by all F-1 students transferring to UMFK from another U.S. institution.
Transfer Out Form
Semester Verification Form
OPT/STEM OPT 6 Month Validation Form
COS Form
Reinstatement by Travel Form
Reinstatement by Mail Form
Change of Academic Level Form
I-20 Program Extension Form
Cap-Gap Form
F-2 Dependent Form
Letter Request Form
CPT Form
OPT Form
Concurrent Enrollment Form
Financial Agreement Form
(submitted semesterly)