Requesting Your I-20

As a newly admitted UMFK student, it is time to work towards obtaining your student visa. This starts by getting a Form I-20. The I-20 form is one of the many documents required to obtain an F-1 student visa. All international applicants who are requesting an I-20 form (Certificate of Eligibility for F-1 Status) are required to demonstrate evidence of financial ability to support their education and living expenses while at the University of Maine at Fort Kent. Please read the “Financial Affidavit of Support Instructions” to complete the following steps correctly. Once all the necessary documents have been gathered, an international student can request an I-20.

Here are some important details to keep in mind for the financial affidavit of support:

  • An international applicant can only request an I-20 after admission to UMFK.
  • The amount shown on the financial affidavit of support must be equal to or greater than the estimated total indicated in the “Financial Affidavit of Support Instructions” document.
  • The names should match on both the affidavit and bank statements.
  • The estimate you need to show is in US currency. You can use this online currency converter to see how the currency in your country converts to USD.
  • The bank statement(s) provided must be from an account that can be withdrawn from (no life insurance policies, investment statements, retirement accounts, etc.).

Once you have finalized the I-20 request, the University of Maine Fort Kent will review the documents. Should the documents provided by the student prove sufficient, an I-20 will be created and sent via FedEx Express along with your acceptance letter and scholarship letter(s) (if applicable). You will also receive an email containing your package’s tracking number and a scanned copy of your I-20.

International Students Transferring to UMFK

If you’re an international student transferring to UMFK from another institution in the U.S., you will complete the same I-20 request process to request an I-20 transfer. Once you have finalized the I-20 transfer request, we will review the documents. If your I-20 request materials satisfy the requirements, you will be required to complete the Transfer-In form. Both you and your current DSO will complete this form. Once it is finished, please email it to the Admissions Office.

You will receive an electronic copy of the new I-20 once the transfer has been completed.