International Aid Options

If you are neither a U.S. Citizen nor an eligible non-citizen, you do not qualify for U.S. Federal financial aid. Student employment may be available through the University work-study program. This program usually allows students to work 7-8 hours a week on campus. To be considered for this type of employment, a University work-study application is required.

We encourage you to seek financial assistance through sponsors or Alternative loans.


As an international student, you may be eligible for the scholarships and resources listed below.

Alternative Loans

Alternative Loans (in U.S. funds) through U.S. lenders may provide financial assistance to you or your parents if you can’t borrow traditional student loan programs or enough money to cover your college costs. You don’t typically need to submit a FAFSA to be considered for this assistance.

University Work-Study

A Limited amount of money may be available through the University Work-Study program if you don’t qualify for federal work-study. As a student, you are limited to part-time employment during the school year but may work 40 hours per week (for an average of 7.5 weeks) if employed under the summer University Work-Study program. Eligibility is not based on need, and the FAFSA isn’t required for consideration. Work-study earnings are paid every two weeks. You can apply for work-study jobs online through the UMFK portal.

More Information

Check out the links below if you need more information about financial aid options available to international students