State Authorization for Distance Education

UMFK is a member of NC SARA, the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. NC SARA oversees reciprocity agreements that facilitate UMFK student participation in distance education and on-site experiences outside the state of Maine, such as clinical placements, internships, etc. Students should visit the NC SARA website for information on reciprocity agreements with the state where they plan to complete a placement.

Professional Licensure Disclosure Statement for Distance Education and Other Programs

The University of Maine at Fort Kent cannot confirm that its courses or degree programs meet the requirements for professional licensure outside of the State of Maine. The University of Maine at Fort Kent strongly encourages prospective and current students to contact the appropriate or applicable licensing board(s) in states where they may wish to pursue licensure before beginning any program of study.

Consistent with new federal requirements, UMFK is participating in a University of Maine System mechanism for disclosing to students whether our professional licensure-related courses and degree programs meet the requirements for professional licensure outside of Maine, in the states where students reside. Please visit the UMS State Authorization & Licensure webpage for information.

Authorization for Internships/Externships/Clinical/Field Experiences in California

State laws require permission for out-of-state students to participate in on-site educational experiences. Except for California, all states are covered under the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement. Students seeking to complete an internship/externship/practicum/field/clinical experience in California must first obtain state authorization. Such authorization is managed through the University of Maine System.

UMFK must petition California’s state Department of Education to request a waiver for each student participating in an out-of-state internship/externship/practicum/field experience/etc. in California. Please email for the required form to forward to the UMS state authorization staff. NOTE: prior authorization can take 8-12 weeks. Plan ahead.

Student Complaints Concerning Distance Education

Students with complaints about a distance education experience should follow UMFK’s Student Complaints Process. Distance education-related complaints regarding academic matters (e.g., grades) should follow the Academic Appeals Policy. Distance education-related complaints regarding administrative issues (e.g., the accuracy of licensure information) should follow the Administrative Appeals Policy.

After following UMFK’s student complaint process, students may seek further action through the following Maine Department of Education process:

State of Maine Complaint Form

Any current or former student enrolled in an online degree program who wishes to file a complaint against a degree-granting institution approved to operate under the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) should use the State of Maine Complaint form.

  1. Students should exhaust the formal complaint process of the host institution.
  2. Students should file a complaint through SARA that includes documentation that the student has exhausted the formal complaint process at the host post-secondary institution.
  3. The Maine DOE reviews the complaint and supporting documents. The Maine DOE may request further documentation from the participating SARA institution mentioned in the complaint.
  4. Maine DOE determines if the resolution of the host institution is acceptable. If so, the complaint process is concluded, and the previous resolution is sustained. If this resolution is found unacceptable by the Maine DOE, then the complaint will be further investigated until resolved.
  5. The student receives the final disposition letter from the Maine DOE.