Verification and Your Tax Transcript

If your application for financial aid needs more information or clarification, you may be selected for verification. If selected for this process, you’ll need to complete the appropriate Verification Worksheet (available online through the UMFK portal) and give documents verifying your income if you filed an income tax return for the most recent tax year.

If you filed your 2021 taxes:

If we request a 2021 tax document from you, you can provide us with one of the following documents:

  1. A signed copy for all pages of your 2021 (1040) federal income tax form. You may already have a copy in your files, or your accountant may have one.
  2. A 2021 Tax Return Transcript (TRT). You can request a tax return transcript online from the IRS.

If you did NOT file 2021 taxes (and were not required to):

If you didn’t file taxes, you’ll need to provide a Non-FIler’s Statement from the IRS. To request this statement, please try one of the following:

  1. Request your Tax Return Transcript online.
  2. Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946.
  3. Complete form 4506-T to request a letter from the IRS indicating you did not file 2021 taxes.

If you are only now completing your FAFSA, you will need to enter your 2021 financial information on your FAFSA manually.