Required Immunizations

To participate in classes within the University of Maine System, you must provide proof of immunizations before the start of classes.

You can provide proof of immunization by logging into the University of Maine System Immunization Portal and uploading a copy of your immunization record. The immunization record should either be signed by a clinician or have a clinic stamp. A copy of your high school health immunization record is also acceptable.

When you submit immunization records, ensure every page of the documents submitted includes your name, student ID, and birth date.

View Maine state laws on immunization requirements for students on the State of Maine website.

Recommendation for Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Vaccine

Based on Maine law, the University of Maine System requires students to be immunized against certain diseases and submit official immunization records prior to attending classes or participating in University activities.

Maine Law requires all degree-seeking students and full-time, non-degree students born after December 31, 1956, to provide proof of the following immunizations:

  • One (1) dose of Tetanus/Diphtheria (Td or Tdap) received within the last ten (10) years.
  • Two (2) doses of Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) received after (not on) the first birthday. If measles immunization was done prior to 1968, students must provide proof it was done with a live virus.

Lab results of titer tests showing immunity to Measles, Mumps, and Rubella are accepted as long as they are signed or stamped and clearly indicate immunity to all three diseases.

Immunization records must indicate the date of immunization and the immunization agent and are REQUIRED to be signed or stamped by a physician, nurse, public health official, or school health provider who administered the immunization. Official school or military health records may also be accepted as proof of immunization as long as they were based on certificates of immunization, and state, at a minimum, the month and year that the immunization was administered.

The MMR vaccines required by the State are available at the UMFK Student Health Clinic. Please contact the Office of Student Affairs by email at or by phone at (207) 834-7587 for more information.


Per Maine law, a student may only be exempted from the University’s Tdap and MMR immunization requirements if the student:

  1. Provides a written statement from a licensed physician, nurse practitioner, or physician assistant that, in that provider’s judgment, immunization against one or more of the diseases may be medically inadvisable. Please contact the Office of Student Affairs by email at or by phone at (207) 834-7587 for more information about requesting an exemption from immunization requirements; or
  2. Is fully remote and does not physically attend any classes or programs at a facility, campus, center, or site of this University or any other school.