January 18, 2002
The University of Maine at Fort Kent's Blake Gallery is featuring "Logging on Maine Rivers," a rare collection of photos, some of which are action shots, featuring the river drivers from the St. John River to the Androscoggin.
Drivers featured in the photos are from the St. John, The Big Machias, The Aroostook River, The Penobscot, The Kennebec and the Androscoggin.
The theme of the exhibit is "From River to Rails". The photos were researched and prepared for the exhibit by Shirlee Connors-Carlson, local folk historian. The photos were all reproduced in sepia tone, in keeping with the age of the photos, which were brown tone originally.
The photos are on loan from museums throughout the State of Maine and New Brunswick. Maine museums contributing photos are The Loggers Museum in Ashland , The Lumbermen's Museum in Patten, The Madawaska Historical Society in Madawaska, The Bangor Historical Society in Bangor, whose photos depict the Bangor Tigers, and the Pejebscot Historical Society in Brunswick.
The Robert Connors Museum in Connors, New Brunswick; also contributed photos to make this exhibit possible.
The photos on loan from the Lumbermen's Museum in Patten are from the Carl Springhorn collection. Springhorn, a well-known artist, spent several years in the Shin Pond area painting scenes of lumbering camps and river drives.
The exhibit of lumbering photos, some dating back to the 1890's, can be viewed during Blake Library hours through January 30.
For more information on the exhibit or library hours, contact gallery curator Sofia Birden at 834-7527.