January 10, 2012
The University of Maine at Fort Kent will help this fall's college and university-bound students and their parents answer a much more complex question: “How do I complete the Free Application for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA)?”
UMFK's Associate Director of Financial Aid, Michael Huddy, will be on site for St. John Valley's “College Goal Sunday” a statewide program co-sponsored by the Finance Authority of Maine. The session will be held at the St. John Valley Technical Center in Frenchville on Sunday, January 22 at 2 p.m. and will involve a line-by-line explanation of the FAFSA application and a question and answer session. Students and parents are asked to register on-line at http://www.collegegoalsundaymaine.com/
The session is designed to assist families with college-bound and college-aged students to work through the, at times overwhelming, FAFSA form, which is required for students to qualify for federal aid. The hands-on workshop will allow parents to complete the FAFSA during the two-hour session.
Now is the time to apply for financial aid for the upcoming 2012-2013 school year. If you are planning, or even thinking about, attending college next year, it's important to file your FAFSA early. Parents and students are welcomed to attend.
Workshop participants are asked to bring with them, if available:
· 2011 Federal Tax Return or other income documentation
· Social Security number
· Driver's license (if any)
· FAFSA PIN
· 2011 W-2 Forms or year-end pay stubs and other year-end records of money received
· 2011 untaxed income records - Social Security, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, welfare, or veterans benefits records
· Your 2011 bank statements
· 2011 business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond, and other investment records
· Your alien registration card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
· If 2011 information is not available, 2010 information would be helpful
For more information on “College Goal Sunday,” contact the UMFK Financial Aid office at 834-7605.