To qualify for valedictorian and salutatorian recognition, students must meet the following criteria:
- Met all graduation requirements by the previous summer, fall, or are doing so in May of the current academic year.
- Must be graduating from a traditional, on-campus, 4-year degree program.
- Earned a minimum of 60 credit hours through UMFK.
- Have not appealed to use the Fresh Start and/or Academic Forgiveness policies.
- The student with the highest UMFK cumulative GPA and the least number of transfer credits is recognized as Valedictorian.
- The student with the second-highest UMFK cumulative GPA and the least number of transfer credits is recognized as Salutatorian honors.
If multiple students have the same UMFK cumulative GPA and the same number of transfer credits, recognition is awarded to the student(s) who have demonstrated significant contributions and leadership to UMFK and the community at large as determined by the Dean of Students.