The University of Maine at Fort Kent recognizes that students may complete postsecondary work at other institutions. This work is important to the student and also to the University. UMFK will make every effort to recognize the credits through the transfer process and apply these toward its program requirements. Where the content of courses from the previous school is equivalent to that of UMFK courses, students will be given credits toward their degree requirements. Where there is no compatibility of content, elective credit will be given. UMFK also has special arrangements with selected schools whereby credits are accepted directly into UMFK programs (see Index under “Articulation Agreements” for details of these special arrangements).    

In order to receive credits for work from other institutions, students must present “official” transcripts from each post-secondary school. For students who are applying for transfer to Fort Kent (see Index under “Transfer Students”), the transcripts must be sent to the Admissions Office. For those taking courses at other schools while a student at UMFK, the transcript should be directed to the Registrar’s Office.    

Once transcripts are received in the Registrar’s Office, they will be evaluated and credits accepted as appropriate. The student will then be notified of the transferability of each course as well as how the credits will apply to his/her degree program. The acceptable credits will then be posted on the UMFK transcript. Decisions on transfer credit evaluations may be appealed to the Vice President for Academic Affairs (see Index under “Student Academic Review Policy”).    

Although all coursework will be considered for transfer, credits will be acceptable for transfer only under the following conditions:

  1. Only work from institutions accredited by one of the six regional accrediting agencies will be accepted in transfer.
  2. Only work with grades of “C-” and above will be accepted. Courses graded with non-standard letter systems, such as Pass/Fail, will be consider for transfer if the transcript clearly shows the equivalent grade symbol indicating a grade of “C” or better.  
  3. Grade Point Averages (GPA) from other schools do not transfer. Grades from all schools are listed on the UMFK transcript but are not included in the UMFK GPA.
  4. Only work which applies to a course of study at UMFK will be accepted.
  5. Nursing clinical courses are not transferable.
  6. Credits from vocational or technical schools are accepted if they were taken as part of an Associate degree.    

UMFK differentiates between courses offered during the freshman/sophomore years (lower level) and those at the junior/senior years (upper level). For transfer courses, the level is determined at the time of transfer evaluation. Courses, considered upper level at the away school, are considered upper level at UMFK. Courses, considered lower level at the away school, are considered lower level at UMFK. It is recognized that conflicts will exist between the numbering schemes. Credits from two-year institutions will be considered the equivalent of lower level work (freshmen and sophomore years) at the University of Maine at Fort Kent.

NOTE: For students transferring within the University of Maine System: “Trustee policy is to provide the maximum opportunity for transfer within the System. When a student is accepted for transfer within the University of Maine System, all undergraduate degree credits, with a minimum grade of “C-“, obtained at any unit of the University will be transferable to any other unit but will not be automatically applied to the specific academic degree program to which the student has transferred. Each student will be expected to meet the established requirements of the academic program into which transfer is effected, and appropriate application of that credit is to be the responsibility of the particular academic unit. To determine which courses are transferable for degree program credit, students who anticipate the need to transfer course credits should consult with their academic advisor prior to enrollment.” 

Transfer of Credit from Non-Regionally Accredited Institutions    

Credits earned at non-accredited institutions of higher learning may be presented for evaluation and acceptance at the University of Maine at Fort Kent. Any student anticipating the transfer of credits from a non-accredited institution should:

  1. Request that an official transcript be sent from the institution in question to the Registrar of the University of Maine at Fort Kent.
  2. Secure for the Registrar the following data for each course involved:
    • Complete syllabus
    • List of all required and any optional textbooks or other instructional materials used in the course.
    • School’s catalog.
  3. The Registrar will review the foregoing documents to determine equity with academic requirements and courses at UMFK. The Registrar may confer with other offices of the University as appropriate.
  4. Where equity is found to exist with courses offered by UMFK, the transfer credit may be accepted at full or adjusted value toward satisfaction of the corresponding UMFK course. Where a corresponding course is not offered at UMFK, the course value may be accepted toward fulfillment of elective requirements.