The University of Maine at Fort Kent recognizes that enrolled students may have developed knowledge and skills from previous readings, work, and other experiences, or through degrees/diplomas, licenses, or certification from other agencies. Where possible, UMFK attempts to honor past experiences by granting credit for other types of learning.
Experiential Learning Credits Guidelines:
- Be currently matriculated and enrolled at UMFK.
- Have a current cumulative grade point average of 2.0.
- Be willing to demonstrate, upon request, the knowledge or skills appropriate to the course for which the individual is seeking credit.
To apply for experiential learning credits, the applicant must complete and return to the Vice President for Academic Affairs the “Credit for Past and Experiential Learning” form along with the supportive evidence of past and experiential learning which includes:
- Detailed resume of experiential activities listed in chronological order.
- Copies of diplomas, transcripts, certificates, and/or licenses.
- Official letters and other documentation from supervisory sources confirming the experience and attesting to its quality.
The Vice President for Academic Affairs will forward the materials to the appropriate Division and faculty for review and credit recommendation. The review will determine the amount of credit to be awarded as well as the equivalent UMFK courses. Recommendations will then be submitted to the Vice President for Academic Affairs for final approval.