An important goal of the University of Maine at Fort Kent is to invest in its human resources.  Therefore, the University has committed to provide financial assistance and support for the development of full-time and part-time regular hourly staff members.  These funds will be available for the fiscal year beginning July 1 and ending June 30.  The funds allocated for this purpose shall be used to supplement any regularly budgeted amounts for staff development and related expenses.  A request may or may not be fully funded.  All proposals will be reviewed by a five member (with two alternates) Hourly Staff Development Fund Committee comprised of members of the Hourly Staff Organization. Members shall volunteer or be nominated for membership. The names will be placed on a ballot and the seven members will be voted in by the entire Hourly Staff Organization with a specific spot on the ballot for the Chair according to Article IV of the Hourly Staff Constitution.  All positions will be for a one year term. Any member may, however, volunteer for consecutive terms.

Activities which will be considered for funding will be compatible with the University’s Mission Statement and with the objectives of the Strategic Plan.  These include:

  1. participation in meetings, symposiums, seminars, or other conferences;

(The cost of non-refundable airline tickets will not be paid by the HSDF.)

  1. Research, study, training, or experience relevant to the hourly staff member’s assigned University responsibilities.
  2. Does not cover undergraduate or graduate courses, unless mandated by the supervisor.

Allocation Guidelines for Hourly Staff Development Funds

$500 per person/ per event/ per 6 month period (July‑Dec) (Jan‑June) is the maximum allowed (excluding group projects).

80% of available funding shall be set aside for hourly development fund requests that are submitted from July 1 through March 15 of the fiscal year.  The remaining 20% of the funding shall be allocated for hourly development fund requests from March 16 through June 30 of that fiscal year.  The Hourly Staff Development Fund Committee shall have the discretion to adjust these dates and amounts as need arises.

Application Procedure for Hourly Staff Development Funds

Any full-time or part-time regular hourly staff member may apply for financial support from the fund for staff development activities undertaken from July 1 through June 30 of the fiscal year.

After the supervisor’s approval, the applicant must submit the completed hourly development fund application form to the Chair of the Hourly Staff Development Fund Committee.  Applications should be submitted at least ten working days before funds need to be allocated.  (Fifteen to twenty days preferred when possible.)  The Chair shall then assemble the Hourly Staff Development Fund Committee to review the application. At this time, the applicant may (at his/her discretion) present his/her application with any justifications as to why funding is needed before the 5 members of the Hourly Staff Development Fund Committee.  If the Development Fund Committee approves the application, the application will then be forwarded to the campus President for approval/disapproval. The final decision rests with the campus President. The campus President will then notify the applicant, in writing, of this decision.

Any purchasing for any Hourly Staff Development Funds recipient shall be made by one of the following Hourly Staff members:  Joyce Plourde, Nicki Ouellette or the Chair.  Purchasing includes: accommodation reservations, workshop/seminar registration fees, and any other expenses that are incurred prior to the event.

All original receipts for all expenses incurred shall be submitted to the Chair of the Hourly Staff Development Fund Committee for payment approval within one week of the date that the applicant receives them.

At the conclusion of the staff development experience, the member shall submit a written report to the Chair of the Hourly Development Fund Committee, with a copy to the campus President, and his/her supervisor describing how the activity, research, and/or experience benefited UMFK and contributed to the growth and development of the hourly staff member.

All approved applicants must report any cancellation or change of plans to the Chair of the Hourly Staff Development Fund Committee as soon as possible.

Any returned or remaining funds shall be returned to the Hourly Development Fund and will be available for other applicants.

A copy of these procedures shall be given to an applicant at the time a request for funding is made.