This site uses javascript to implement some of its functionality. Please enable javascript in your web browser to ensure full functionality is available.
skip to content

Student Life

Cyr Hall • University of Maine at Fort Kent • 23 University Drive, Fort Kent, ME 04743

F-1 Student Regulations

Maintaining F-1 Student Status

  1. You must be enrolled full time. Undergraduate students: at least 12 credits. Graduate students: at least 6 credits.
  2. You must take a minimum of 9 credits in classes that meet on the UMFK campus. A student taking 12 credits could enroll in one (1) three credit online course.
  3. Do not work OFF campus without authorization from your International Student Adviser and/or the US Immigration Service.
  4. ON campus work is limited to 20 hours per week during the Fall and Spring semesters. During school breaks (Winter & Summer) you can work up to 40 hours.
  5. Request a “travel signature” on page 3 of your I-20 if you plan to leave the US. The signature is valid for only one year so request a travel signature each year. Without a valid travel signature you may not be allowed in the US.
  6. Complete your studies by the expiration date of your I-20. If you need additional time you must request an extension from Student Affairs in Cyr Hall. Make an appointment to speak with the PDSO.
  7. Complete a change of address form in Student Affairs in Cyr Hall within 10 days if you change your address;
  8. Carry your original passport and I-20 with you, especially when traveling outside the Fort Kent area.

You can refer to the complete F-1 student regulations for more information but be sure to request assistance from the PDSO in Student Affairs or a DSO before making an important decision. Regulatory language is open to interpretation. You want to be sure that you are following the law as interpreted by the Department of Homeland Security.