This site uses javascript to implement some of its functionality. Please enable javascript in your web browser to ensure full functionality is available.
skip to content

Student Life

Cyr Hall • University of Maine at Fort Kent • 23 University Drive, Fort Kent, ME 04743

Bringing Dependents

If you wish to have dependents (spouse, children) accompany you to the United States, you must provide documentation of financial support for their estimated expenses ($4,500 per year for the first dependent and $1,200 per year for each additional dependent), name, relationship, date and place of birth and request appropriate immigration documents from the Office of International Programs or your program sponsor. This must be done prior to arrival if you wish dependents to accompany you during the first semester. All dependents in the U.S. must be covered by the insurance available through the University of Maine at Fort Kent or other appropriate coverage.

U.S. immigration law does not allow dependents in F-2 status to work in the U.S. under any circumstances. Study is also prohibited. Dependents in J-2 status may apply for work authorization under certain conditions, but such employment may not be depended upon for basic financial support. Dependents in J-2 status are allowed to study.