This site uses javascript to implement some of its functionality. Please enable javascript in your web browser to ensure full functionality is available.
skip to content

Student Employment

216 Powell Hall • University of Maine at Fort Kent • 23 University Drive, Fort Kent, ME 04743

Types of Student Employment

There are three different types of student employment. These are: the Federal Work Study Program, the University Work Study Program and department-funded employment. Student employment is normally available during the academic year and during the summer.

Federal Work Study (FWS)

The Federal Work Study Program is a federally funded financial aid program which provides employment opportunities for students who need money to meet educational expenses. Work-Study is awarded as part of the student's overall financial aid package and is also intended to broaden the range of worthwhile job opportunities for qualified students. Certain stipulations exist regarding the type of employment situation a student can accept. Positions are generally limited to those offered by public or private non-profit organizations. Federal work-study funds cannot be used to pay for work which is religious, political, or which is performed for the benefit of a private individual. Because of this, a student can be paid for general office work but cannot be paid for typing a dissertation or assisting with private consultation.

Students cannot be hired to replace regular employees and all hiring practices must comply with existing civil rights regulations.

To apply for academic year work study, students are required to complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), list UMFK's school code (002041) as the university they plan to attend, and check "yes" to the question, "Are you interested in work study?"

A student must also provide the student financial aid office with any other documents as requested for completion of his/her file. A student's federal work-study eligibility will be determined by the student financial aid office and the student will be notified. A limited number of federal work study positions are available during the academic year. For students requesting a work study position, we recommend that they submit their completed FAFSA to the processor as soon as possible after October 1st. To be considered for most types of financial aid, (i.e., including work study) from one year to the next, the appropriate FAFSA application must be filed every year.

University Work Study Program (UWS)

The University Work Study Program (UWS) is an on campus work program with limited (university) funding. Students who are not eligible for the federal work-study program may be considered for this program. Students interested in this type of program are asked to complete a Work Study Application available online or from the Student Employment Office. University work-study employment may be offered and/or considered according to: availability of funds, a student's knowledge and/or skills, and a student's application date.

Campus Department Employment (Ad-Comp jobs)

Campus Department Employment (Ad-Comp jobs) may be offered to students who have special skills and/or a level of knowledge needed by a department. The department is required to have sufficient funding available to pay student employees. A student is usually asked to work for a department by someone from the department. (This type of employment is not considered work study.)

On-Campus Non-University jobs

Sodexo UMFK Dining Services has job opportunities available for students in all campus dining locations, as well as catering services. You can pick up an application at the Dining Office in Nowland Hall or contact the Dining Services Office at (207) 834-7883.