This site uses javascript to implement some of its functionality. Please enable javascript in your web browser to ensure full functionality is available.

Student Affairs

J-1 Student Regulations

Maintaining J-1 Student Status

  1. You must be enrolled full time. Undergraduate students: at least 12 credits. Graduate students: at least 6 credits.
  2. You must not enroll for more than 3 online credits per semester
  3. Do not work OFF campus without authorization from the PDSO in Student Affairs and/or the US Immigration Service
  4. ON campus work should be authorized by the PDSO and is limited to 20 hours per week during the Fall and Spring semesters. During school breaks you can work up to 40 hours.
  5. You and your dependents in the US must have health insurance at all times. Read more about the Department of State insurance requirements.
  6. Request a “travel signature” on page 1 of your DS2019 if you plan to leave the US. The signature is valid for only one year so request a travel signature each year. Without a valid travel signature, you may not be allowed to return to the US.
  7. Complete your studies by the expiration date of your I-20. If you need additional time you must request an extension from Student Affairs in Cyr Hall. Make an appointment to speak with the PDSO.
  8. Complete a change of address form in Student Affairs in Cyr Hall within 10 days if you change your address.
  9. Carry your original passport and DS2019 with you, especially when traveling outside the Fort Kent area.

You can refer to the complete J-1 student regulations for more information but be sure to request assistance from the PDSO in Student Affairs or a DSO before making an important decision. Regulatory language is open to interpretation. You want to be sure that you are following the law as interpreted by the Department of Homeland Security.