Extending Your Stay
Eligibility for a program extension
A student in F-1 or J-1 status is eligible for a program extension if they are in good academic standing at the University of Maine at Fort Kent and if they have made regular progress toward earning their degree.
Your application for an F-1 or J-1 Program Extension must be made to Student Affairs prior to the expiration of your current Form I-20 for Form DS-2019, preferably during the 60-day period prior to the expiration of your current Form I-20 or Form DS-2019. Failure to request a program extension will result in a violation of your immigration status.
- Obtain a letter requesting an extension of your program from your Academic Advisor
- Gather financial documents to show you have sufficient funds for the entire extended period or 12 months, whichever is the shorter period of time. A new I-20 or DS-2019 cannot be issued without updated financial documents. Financial documents must be dated within the last 12 months, and might include one or more of the following:
- letter showing proof of assistantship or scholarship
- official bank statement or letter showing account balance
- affidavit of support if the bank statement is not in your name