Preparing for Clinicals: Clinical Requirements
Nursing students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better to remain in the nursing major. Please note that prior to starting clinical courses students must have completed, with a grade of C or better, the following courses:
- Anatomy and Physiology I and II with labs;
- Human Nutrition;
- Microbiology with lab;
- Chemistry with lab;
- NUR 200 Introduction to Nursing with lab;
- NUR 230 Promoting Personal Health and Wellness with lab;
- NUR 309 Total Health Assessment with lab;
- NUR 386 Health Policy;
- PSY 100 Introduction to Psychology;
- NUR 308 Human Development
- Students should also have the language and computer/technology requirements done because they are very difficult to schedule once clinical courses start.
Students must gain compliancy with American Data Bank to include all requirements. Students must also maintain compliancy to remain in clinical courses. All UMFK nursing students must meet the following immunization requirements before enrolling in nursing courses:
- Tetanus Diphtheria (TD): TD vaccine within the past 10 years.
- Mumps, Measles (Rubeola), and Rubella (MMR): Two doses of Measles, Mumps, and Rubella or two MMR vaccines or a titer with Immune results for Measles, Mumps and Rubella.
- Hepatitis B: vaccination series (three vaccines) and an immune Hepatitis B surface antibody titer.
- Varicella (chicken pox): Two Varicella vaccines or proof of immunity by positive Varicella titer.
- PPD: testing for tuberculosis. Complete the consent to TB screening form and provide 2 PPD tests within the past year or complete a 2-step PPD. An annual PPD test will be required annually while in the nursing program.
- Flu: While enrolled in clinical courses
- Health Evaluation: physical exam.
- CPR: Provide proof of CPR certification by American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Healthcare providers.
- Request a background check through CastleBranch Immunization Tracking System (ITS) at: www.castlebranch.com