Students Improve Through Tutoring
When to Seek a Tutor
- If you want to improve your grades
- If you are having difficulty understanding lectures
- If you are falling behind in class
- If you are performing poorly on tests
- If you want help with study skills
- If you want help preparing for a test
- If you are having difficulty with homework assignments
Request Tutoring Assistance
What You Can Expect from Your Tutor
- Help with study skills
- Ability to model good student behaviors
- Knowledge about the subject being tutored
- Good communication skills
- Honest effort to aid in your understanding of difficult material
What A Tutor Will NOT Do
- YOUR HOMEWORK
You will need to have attempted your homework assignment before coming to tutoring. Make a note of the concepts with which you are struggling. Then, you and your tutor can review these concepts and work through similar problems. However, the tutor cannot help you do your homework.
- RESCUE YOU
Nothing takes the place of consistent hard work throughout the semester. If you fail to do this, showing up for tutoring a week before final exams will not help. Tutors cannot help you recover from a semester of slacking off. You should come to tutoring at the first sign of problems. Waiting will only get you further behind.
- TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR LEARNING
Tutors can help you learn, but they are not responsible for your learning. You will have to attend class regularly, participate in class, do your homework assignments, read your textbook, and develop a relationship with your instructor.
- HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS TO EVERY QUESTION
UMFK tutors are well trained and knowledgeable about the subject they tutor, but they cannot be expected to know everything. However, you CAN expect them to model the steps a successful student would use to find solutions.
Before You See a Tutor
- Read the syllabus—Do you understand the requirements?
- Visit your instructor during office hours; ask questions and discuss concerns
- Read assigned chapters and review class notes
- Do your homework BEFORE the session and bring specific questions to your tutor
What to Bring to The Session
- Past Quizzes or Tests
- POSITIVE ATTITUDE!