Employment and income verifications are most often required when an employee applies for such financial products as loans and mortgages, requests reference checks, seeks an apartment lease, establishes credit or in any other circumstance in which proof of employment or income is required.
The University of Maine System and Equifax have joined in a partnership designed to render gathering this information more convenient for both employees seeking to provide it and verifiers seeking to gain access to it.
Tools & Resources
Contact The Work Number:
- 800-367-2884 (Customer Service)
- 800-367-5690 (Automated Verification)
- 800-424-0253 (TTY/Deaf)
UMS Employer Code: 17807
Types of Verification
- Telephone Verification: Basic employment information can be verified by telephone.
- Automated System: Organizations that wish to verify the employment of a former University of Maine System employee are required to use an automated external employment verification service designated by the University of Maine System called The Work Number. Current employees are also encouraged to use this convenient, Secure, and automated service.
- Employees are responsible for authorizing the release of their information to verifying organizations.
- All requests for information about a current or past employee are provided by University Services: Office of Human Resources or its authorized agents such as The Work Number.
- Campus department leadership is NOT authorized to release any employee information to individuals or agencies outside of the University of Maine System. Employees are also prohibited from releasing employment or income verification information. This policy is designed to protect UMS and employees from any potential liability. Verifications are the responsibility of UMS:HR and/or our authorized, secure, preferred vendor for automation of these services, The Work Number.
- It is UMS policy to protect the confidentiality of information concerning current and past employees and to release only designated types of information under limited circumstances.