This site uses javascript to implement some of its functionality. Please enable javascript in your web browser to ensure full functionality is available.

Financial Aid

Native American Scholarship Cover Letter

Dear Student,

At the University of Maine at Fort Kent, the philosophy and purpose of the Native American Tuition Waiver and the Room Scholarship Program is to encourage Native American students to participate in public higher education. As coordinator of this program, my responsibilities to you include being an advocate for you to the University, being a mentor to you, and working with your first-year and/or program advisors to ensure your academic needs are being addressed.

More information regarding the "Application for Native American Waiver and Scholarship Program", and the guidelines for the room/board waiver is available on-line. In order to be eligible for the tuition waiver and the scholarship, you must:

Be included on the current tribal census of Penobscot Nation, the Passamaquoddy Nation, Houlton Band of Maliseet, or the Aroostook Band of Micmac, OR Have resided in the State of Maine for at least 12 months immediately prior to application AND have at least one parent or grandparent listed on the census of a state, federally, or provincially recognized Native North American/American Indian/First Nations tribe, band, community, or Alaskan Native corporation, OR Hold a band number in either the Maliseet or Micmac Tribe. To be eligible for the Room and Board Scholarship you must also apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. You may apply on-line at: . This room scholarship is administered through our financial aid office. It covers room and board only for full-time matriculated students living on campus. The tuition scholarship covers both full and part-time students.

You will need to provide documentation certifying your enrolled status to my office in the form of an original letter on the appropriate tribal or band letterhead from the appropriate tribal or band office, such as a tribal clerk. If your eligibility rests on the enrollment of a parent or grandparent, please provide proof of their tribal enrollment, and documents verifying your relationship to them. I may also need verification of the 12-month residency. Once all the appropriate documentation is gathered, please send these to my office [and keep copies for yourself], then call my office to schedule an appointment to review your information, sign the guidelines, and to discuss your academic goals. My number is (207) 834-7824.


Dr. Mariella Squire
Coordinator, Native American Scholarship Program,
UMFK Assistant Professor of Anthropology and Sociology