Information About Scholarships
There are basically three different scholarship categories:
UMFK has made scholarship information available to help students who are interested in locating and applying for free money to help pay college expenses.
The three basic types of scholarship posted to our website are:
- scholarships offered by the University also known as (UMFK) scholarships
- the University of Maine System (UMS) scholarships
- outside Scholarships
About UMFK scholarships:
These scholarships are administer by UMFK through a variety of monies made available to UMFK, such as through endowments and donations, etc. These funds are used to assist UMFK students with their college expenses. If funds are awarded, the student will be informed.
About UMS scholarships:
UMFK is one of seven campuses within the University of Maine System (UMS) campuses. Some (limited) scholarship funding is available to eligible UMFK students. You can list many UMS scholarships names on one UMS application. Return the completed application to the UMFK Business Office or the UMFK Financial Aid Office by the date indicated. If funds are awarded, the student will be informed.
About Outside scholarships:
These scholarships are from agencies and institutions other than from UMFK. The application process will vary with each scholarship. Read the information provided carefully. The student is responsible for completing the necessary application process. For more information contact the resources that are made available online.
Scholarship suggestions for high school students:
If you are a high school student, in addition to the Options above, you may want to also check out the following resources:
- Your high school guidance office
- College financial aid office - visit their website
- Your employer
- Your parent's employer
- Faith-based institutions
- Local civic organizations
- Local town office
Scholarships are often awarded based on the following:
(You may want to research scholarships, based on these topics)
- A particular field of study
- Ethnic background
- Religious affiliation
- Special interest
UMFK is not responsible:
- for application errors
- for non UMS scholarships listed on a UMS application
- if a student applies for a wrong scholarship
- if a student wrongly mails an appplication to UMFK that should have been mailed to another institution
- if a student lists a scholarship on the wrong form
- for errors in: scholarship postings, scholarship amounts, and/or posted scholarship deadline dates
- an application submitted after the deadline date
Notes and Disclaimers
- Important: Do not provide money or any of your personal information to anyone when applying for scholarships!
- The application form/process can be different for each type of scholarship. Read details provided carefully.
- This website includes links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s).
- UMFK does not guarantee that all UMFK/UMS scholarships posted will be awarded.
- It is possible for a UMFK student to be considered for other UMFK scholarships that were not listed on his/her UMFK scholarship application.