IRS Data Retrieval & Tax Transcript Instructions
Important Financial Aid Message: Data Retrieval on the FAFSA is Not Working!
We have been made aware by the federal government that the Data Retrieval Tool is currently unavailable and will remain unavailable for a while.
If you were selected for verification, you will need to provide us with additional documentation. You will need to complete the appropriate Verification Worksheet and provide verifying income documents, if you filed 2015 1040 Federal Income Tax.
If you filed 2015 taxes:
If we are requesting a 2015 tax document from you, the following are acceptable documents that can be provided to us.
- a signed copy for all pages of your 2015 (1040) federal income tax. You may already have a copy in your files, or your accountant may have one.
- a 2015 Tax Return Transcript (TRT). You can request this online from the IRS at: www.IRS.gov.
- A 2015 Tax Return Transcript (TRT) can be requested as follows:
- By going online to: www.irs.gov/transcript;
- By calling the IRS at: 1-800-908-9946;
- By completing form 4506-T – form is available from IRS.gov.
If you did NOT file 2015 taxes and were not required to:
- You will need to complete a UMFK Statement of Non Filing form available from the campus website, www.umfk.edu/financialaid/. Search financial aid forms, and search Non-Tax Filer Forms. Also available from the Portal.
- You can complete form 4506-T, available from the IRS at: www.irs.gov to request a letter from them indicating that you did not file 2015 taxes.
If you are just completing your FAFSA now, you will need to manually enter your 2015 financial information on your FAFSA.
If you have any questions, please contact the financial aid office.
We can be reached at: 207-834-7605 or email at: email@example.com.