Student Learning Outcomes
- Critical reasoning
- Students will develop the capacity for critical reasoning; and become skilled at critically evaluating, analyzing, and synthesizing through research and writing, using multiple sources of information about the human experience.
- Students will use critical reasoning to recognize assumptions underlying arguments; to construct valid arguments, and to create solutions to problems.
- Quantitative reasoning
- Students will demonstrate quantitative reasoning skills. Students will identify and solve quantitative problems in behavioral and social sciences, manage data, recognize and work with relationships among variables, and develop calculation skills appropriate to the behavioral and social sciences.
- Students will demonstrate effective oral, written, and technological communication in the human sciences and in their professional careers
- Knowledge competencies and applications
- Students will demonstrate knowledge competence in the disciplines of behavioral and social sciences through understanding of the historical development of the fields within behavioral and social sciences, and through mastery of theories, phenomena and concepts, research methodologies, and applications.
- Students will apply knowledge competency through applying theory to explain phenomena and to analyze case studies; to apply research methodologies to problem solving and to the further development of critical reasoning.
Students will demonstrate multicultural and cross-cultural awareness of social, cultural, and human biological diversity
By graduation, the successful student in the Behavioral Sciences and Social Sciences should have acquired professional level knowledge and skills in at least one of the following Competency areas
- Content area: Human Services
- Content area: Behavioral Sciences
- Content area: Social Sciences
- Political science, Law and Policy
Social Science is, of necessity, interdisciplinary. Therefore, the Social Sciences track includes the goal of competencies in American and World History.