The UMFK Scholars' Symposium fosters a community of engaged educators, researchers, and life-long learners who value academic excellence, scholarship, and intellectual curiosity. The day of stimulating presentations and discourse focuses on issues relevant to the region and to the institution's mission, which commits to experiential learning, responsible citizenship, and environmental stewardship in its Franco-American, rural setting.
To advance its mission, the symposium will
- operate in an atmosphere of collegiality and professionalism;
- encourage and facilitate the presentation of creative intellectual works by UMFK students;
- encourage and facilitate attendance of the entire campus community;
- establish and facilitate a theme related to the University's strategic mission and regional interests;
- highlight and showcase thematic issues and showcase high quality scholarship through keynote and/or special panel sessions;
- facilitate the exchange of ideas through a range of well organized activities in varied venues, and
- encourage the integration of the event into the curriculum.
- Invite at least one renowned scholar with expertise related to the annual theme;
- Establish a range of activities for students and professional scholars as presenters and attendees including:
- Paper sessions;
- Poster sessions;
- Panel sessions;
- Keynote and/or plenary addresses;
- Provide various avenues for students to publish or otherwise disseminate creative works, e.g., through the Aroostook Review;
- Invite stakeholders from the larger community to participate in the Symposium to better meet regional needs and enhance UMFK-community collaborations.