The Blake Library, as the center for learning at the University of Maine at Fort Kent, is committed to supporting the institutional mission by providing friendly, helpful, convenient, efficient, and valuable access to high quality library and information services, collections, and technology resources designed to meet the needs of the greater UMFK campus and community. In keeping with this mission, Blake Library seeks to:
- To support the liberal arts curriculum with information resources in a variety of formats, emphasizing the special challenges of rural communities in America and especially in northern Maine;
- To assist students and faculty to develop information literacy skills, which form the basis for lifelong learning, success as professionals, and engaged citizens of a democracy;
- To provide materials to augment classroom experience with independent research in all areas of study at UMFK, with emphasis in such areas as teacher education, nursing, environmental studies, business, behavioral sciences, and life sciences;
- To collect materials in support of those who celebrate our proximity to Maine's wilderness and who participate in outdoor sports local to the region;
- To provide access to a variety of public service information resources that support the economic, social and cultural development of the St. John Valley;
- To make available diverse materials to enrich the learning experience of all, and more specifically, to help preserve and foster an appreciation of the local Acadian and Franco-American heritage; and
- To continue to work with University of Maine System Libraries, and consortium libraries including the University of Maine at Machias and the University of Maine at Presque Isle to maximize efficiencies and enhance the quality of library collections.