The definition of information literacy that library staff supports is one developed by the American Libraries Association in 2006. It states:
Information literacy is a set of abilities requiring individuals to "recognize when information is needed and have the ability to locate, evaluate, and use effectively the needed information."
See the Information Literacy standards adopted by Blake Library Staff:
- Short Version: Standards Only
- Partial Version: Standards and Performance Indicators
- Full Version: Standards, Performance Indicators, and Outcomes
Try our Blog on Information Literacy. Give us feedback. Tell us what you think!
Useful sites on Information Literacy:
- ACRL IL Site (Association of College and Research Libraries)
- IL for Faculty and Administrators
- The Standards: Step by Step
- IL in Action
- Mariner Tutorials: Discusses research, evaluation of materials, citing sources, and plagerism.