All newly admitted students whose test results on the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) are not 500 or more on each section or whose test results on the American College Testing (ACT) are not 21 or more are required to take the College Board ACCUPLACER Placement Tests. This requirement also applies to transfer and readmitted students unless math and/or English credits are transferred in.
The purpose of ACCUPLACER tests is to provide you with useful information about your academic skills in math, English, and reading. The results of the assessment, in conjunction with your academic background, goals, and interests, are used by your academic advisor to identify courses that will be best suited for you.
ACCUPLACER tests are:
- Multiple choice
To ensure that test scores accurately represent your skill levels, you may wish to review basic concepts in reading, grammar, arithmetic, trigonometry, and algebra before taking ACCUPLACER, especially if you have been away from school for more than a year. For information about the content of the ACCUPLACER tests and sample questions go to:
ACCUPLACER test preparation and free online practice tests are also available at:
- Gather your thoughts and relax before the test begins.
- Pay careful attention to directions. Be sure you understand them before you begin each test.
- Understand that you may not go back to change an answer once it has been submitted.
- Eliminate one or more of the choices, when you are unsure of the correct answer; then pick one of the remaining choices.
- Do not bring food, drinks, textbooks, notebooks, dictionaries, or other papers of any kind into the testing room. The Test Administrator will provide all materials for use with the tests.
- Remember, no assisting others. Anyone who gives or receives help during the test or uses notes or books of any kind will not be allowed to continue the test.
The ACCUPLACER tests are offered by appointment only. To schedule a placement test, call 1-888-TRY-UMFK or (207) 834-7530.