About Academic Advising
- Your Mainestreet Student Center provides you with information for your academic program and progress.
- Explore: contact information for your advisor, read your advising notes, click on your degree progress report and your grades.
- Check that you are in the correct major and the assigned advisor is correct. Be sure to make any necessary corrections as soon as you see a discrepancy by submitting paperwork through the One Stop Center.
- Instructors post early alerts when students fail to attend classes on a regular basis, make poor academic progress, or there is a concern about a shift in behavior. Should an early alert be sent, you will be notified and required to meet with the Assistant Dean of Student Success to create a plan for academic success.
- Understand the degree plan for your major and/or minor/concentration as outlined in the catalog of your admittance year. You may also use the Degree Progress Report in your Mainestreet student center to guide you to courses needed to complete degree requirements. It is important to enroll in courses required for your program major since incorrect course choices will affect your financial aid.
- Review the course schedule. Use your wishlist function in your Mainestreet student center to input classes of interest that meet your major requirements. Select the "Notify Advisor" button that your wishlist is ready for approval.
- You are also encouraged to meet with your advisor in person or phone/email to review the wishlist and choice of courses. Also the Assistant Dean of Student Success is an additional resource to help with advising and course selection.