UMFK offers high speed internet access across the entire campus. The wireless network available to students, staff & faculty is called tempest. To gain access to tempest you will need to register your device. This can be done by either running the self register page within your internet browser (as simple as connecting to the wireless network called tempest and opening your browser) or by coming into IT to have us register it for you. We also now offer a wireless network for guests who will not be staying on-campus long. This network is called UMS-Guest and can be accessed by selecting the wireless network called UMS-Guest, opening your web browser, and entering a valid email address.
Game consoles such as the XBox 360, PlayStation 3, and the Nintendo Wii can be added to our network to allow online gaming. Gaining access with each console is different. Below are instructions for each console:
- XBox 360 - Obtain your hardware address and bring it into IT so we can add it to the network for you.
- Playstation 3 - You can self register your PS3 via it's web browser or obtain your hardware address and bring it to IT so we can add it to the network for you.
- Nintendo Wii - UMFK's wireless network currently DOES NOT support connection with the Nintendo Wii. You can buy a external adapter to allow wired networking on the Nintendo Wii. You will then have to obtain your hardware address and bring it into IT so we can add it to the network for you.
- Sony PSP - You can self register your PSP via it's web browser or obtain your hardware address and bring it to IT so we can add it to the network for you.
- All Others - UMFK may or may not have the ability to get other gaming consoles online. Please call us at (207)834-7818 to get support on connecting such devices.
UMFK offers multiple ways for students to access email on and off campus. The simplest way to access your email is to login to the UMS Google Mail page located at http://gmail.maine.edu.
However, if you wish to connect your email to a local email client such as Outlook or Apple's Mail you will need to follow a few steps. The UMFK IT recommends using a IMAP connection when doing this. The first step is to make sure IMAP is enabled inside Google Mail.
- Sign in to Gmail.
- Click Settings at the top of any Gmail page.
- Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
- Select Enable IMAP.
- Click Save Changes.
Now you will need to browse to this page http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=75726, choose your email client and follow the instrctions provided by Google. You can also setup your Android, iPhone, iPod or other mobile device there. NOTE: When you are asked to enter a username include @maine.edu. Example: email@example.com
UMFK offers free computer repair for students. This includes virus removal, general diagnostics and many other options. UMFK retains the right to turn away any job and is not liable for any damages done to the computer while in our possession.
If you are planning on purchasing a new computer, the IT Department recommends the following:
- Windows 7 or Mac OS 10.6 operating system
- At least a 250gb hard drive
- At least 4gb of RAM
- A CD-RW/DVD-R drive
- A Wireless card
- An Ethernet card
At UMFK we charge students .03 cents per black & white page and .30 cents per color page for printing. You will need to pay before you print. We offer you the ability to check your printing balance online (click here). In order to put money on your account you can visit the automated system in the Library. We now offer wireless printing which we called BengalPrint. It can be accessed at https://bengalprint.umfk.edu.