- Completed at least 24 credits of the total liberal arts core.
- Complete all General Education requirements (only those that do not have a previous bachelor's degree)
- Complete the Professional Education Courses with a minumum of "C" in each.
- Pass all three parts of the Praxis I exam.
- Successful completion of Praxis II, including PLT.
Students typically complete their education courses in three semesters. Students who are seeking endorsements outside of Maine may need additional coursework. Before beginning certification program, students must complete content courses needed for their area of endorsement and pass the Praxis I exam. (See Education Major)
Suggested Sequence of Courses
|Edu 303||Educating Exceptional Child||3 credits|
|Edu 303L||Exceptional Child Lab||1 credit|
|Edu 358||Secondary Educational Methods I||3 credits|
|Edu 358L||Secondary Methods Lab||1 credit|
|Edu 401||Educational Psychology||3 credits|
|Edu 401L||Classroom Management Lab||1 credit|
|Edu 454||Reading & Writing Across Secondary Curriculum||3 credits|
|Edu 454L||Content Literacy Lab||1 credit|
|Edu 335||Computers in the Classrooom||3 credits|
|edu 335L||School Technology Lab||1 credit|
|Edu 359||Secondary Methods II||3 credits|
|Edu 359L||Secondary Mathods II||1 credit|
|Edu 403||Intervention Stratagies||3 credits|
|Edu 403L||Intervention Stratagies Lab||1 credit|
|Edu 477||Bilingual/Multicultural Curriculum Design||3 credits|
|Edu 477L||Diversity Lab||1credit|
|Edu 406||Student Teaching**||14 credits|
**Student Teaching Requirements
- For Elementary Certification: 42 liberal arts core electives to include the following:
- 6 Credits of English
- 6 Credits of Mathematics
- 6 Credits of Science
- 6 Credits of Social Science (anthropology, geography, economics, government/political sciences, and history)
- 18 Credits of elective liberal art courses (9 of which are upper level) OR for Secondary certification: Completion of 24 credits in content endorsement area
Disclaimer: The requirements listed above provide an example of what may be required for new students. Actual program requirements will vary depending on the academic year in which the student enrolled in the program. Please consult the appropriate catalog for official degree/program requirements.