A Definition of E-Commerce
An attempt to increase transactional efficiency and effectiveness in all aspects of the design, production, marketing and sales of products or services for existing and developing marketplaces through the utilization of current and emerging electronic technologies.
The Natural and Behavioral Sciences Division at the University of Maine at Fort Kent proposed a major in electronic commerce. This proposal resulted, in part, from an increasing trend in student interest to blend an education in computer technologies and business. It is the educational synergy that exists between such programs that the University aims to build upon and extend to students in a more focused and directed program of study. The electronic commerce program will enable students to maximize their preparation for careers and future academic aspirations related to the evolving Internet marketplace.
General Program Goals
The Bachelor of Science in Electronic Commerce will provide a liberal arts degree for students interested in careers in electronic commerce. The program will combine elements from the Bachelor of Science in Business Management and the Bachelor of Science in Computer Applications, as well as the area of electronic commerce. Students graduating from the program will be prepared to work for both small and large businesses who are preparing or who have entered the global economy of the information age. They will also be prepared to work in a variety of industries as e-commerce professionals and consultants.
Specific Goals of E-Commerce Degree Program
- Prepare students to create and maintain electronic commerce initiatives in various size firms
Provide students with broad based, objective exposure to current technologies in the E-Commerce Arena including the following:
- Networks and Network security
- Systems Analysis
- Systems Management
- HTML and DHTML
- Active Server Pages
- VISUAL Basic and VBscript
- Microsoft's .NET initiative
- Internet and Intranet Architectures
- Provide students with technical and analytical skills to make solid and responsible decisions regarding E-commerce initiatives
- Provide students with the management; project planning, financing and marketing skills to successfully take an e-commerce initiative from conception to implementation
- Provide students with an understanding of the Social and Legal impact of E-commerce on Modern Business Climates
- Through Seminars, Simulators and Internships, provide an opportunity for students to work, learn and explore in environments very similar to what they will experience when they enter into the job market
- Provide an outreach program for local and regional firms to get access and exposure to current E-commerce trends and technologies
For more information about the E-Commerce Program, please visit the sites below:
UMFK has four professional bachelorate management programs that are accredited by the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education; they are: Business Management, Rural Public Safety Administration, Electronic Commerce, and Computer Applications in Business.